Having a beautiful smile is something that most of us desire. However, not everyone is born with naturally perfect teeth. Fortunately, veneers can help to correct a variety of cosmetic dental issues, such as stained, chipped, or misshapen teeth. But with so many different types of veneers available, how do you know which one is…
An Implant Dentist Discusses Missing Tooth Replacement Options
- A visit to the implant dentist might be necessary for individuals who have lost a tooth due to gum disease, injury, tooth decay or a genetic condition. Regardless of the cause of tooth loss, the implant dentist will examine the oral cavity and recommend the best tooth replacement option to restore function and appearance. This article discusses some of the options available to replace missing teeth, including the pros and cons.
Tooth replacement options
- Individuals who have lost their natural teeth can visit an implant dentist to get any of the following tooth replacement options:
- Dental implants are usually recommended when a patient is missing one tooth or several teeth in different parts of the mouth. The procedure involves the placement of a titanium metal post to support a tooth restoration. Once the mouth heals following the implant placement (usually after some months), the metal post will serve as the permanent base for a prosthetic tooth. The number of implants placed depends on the number of missing teeth on the jaw.The implant restoration looks just like the natural tooth and can last a lifetime with proper oral care. An advantage that dental implants have over options like dental bridges is that it does not need nearby teeth or gums for support, so the rest of the teeth will remain intact. Since the procedure involves surgery, the implant dentist will ensure the patient is in good health before recommending the procedure.
Fixed dental bridge
- Patients who do not want dental implants can consider getting a fixed dental bridge instead. This tooth replacement option might be ideal if one or more teeth are missing in the same area. A fixed bridge closes the gap created by the missing tooth with a dental prosthetic. The artificial tooth is held in place by the natural teeth on either side of the gap.Bridges are preferred because they have the feel and appearance of natural teeth. If the natural teeth are cosmetically impaired, the crown placed over them will also improve their structure. They are generally cheaper and less invasive than dental implants.
Removable partial or full dentures
- The implant dentist may recommend complete dentures if the patient needs to replace all their teeth. However, if only a few teeth are missing, a removable partial denture might be recommended. This teeth replacement option consists of artificial teeth connected to a natural-looking base that matches the color of the gums. The dentures are supported by the gums or existing teeth, which can be difficult to adjust to, however, over-time, it does produce positive results. Additionally, implant dentists often recommend implant-supported dentures, which is a hybrid tooth replacement option that combines partial dentures with dental implants. The dentures are secured in place by the implants, thus reducing the chances of sliding or looseness.
Find out more from an implant dentist
- A missing tooth or teeth can affect the functions of the oral cavity, such as chewing and speaking since the entire teeth are designed to work together. It is advisable to consult with the implant dentist in order to know which tooth replacement option would be most suitable.
Check out what others are saying about our services on Yelp: Read our Yelp reviews.
A dry mouth is a condition where the salivary glands in the mouth do not produce enough saliva. This can cause a range of uncomfortable symptoms, including a dry and crumbly tongue membrane, oral lesions, and difficulty swallowing and speaking. Dry mouth can be caused by several reasons that range from medication side effects to…
Going to the dentist can be a daunting experience for many people. The fear of pain and discomfort during dental procedures can cause anxiety and stress, making it difficult for patients to properly take care of their teeth. However, with advancements in dental technology, patients can now undergo procedures with minimal discomfort. One such advancement…
Kissing is known to be a common and intimate practice all around the world. However, did you know that kissing comes with health benefits and concerns? Kissing not only creates an intimate connection between two people but also offers some benefits. This article helps you learn the health benefits of kissing and how you can…