Kissing is known to be a common and intimate practice all around the world. However, did you know that kissing comes with health benefits and concerns? Kissing not only creates an intimate connection between two people but also offers some benefits. This article helps you learn the health benefits of kissing and how you can…
Why Dental Debridement is Important for Oral Health
When is Dental Debridement Necessary?
- While regular brushing and flossing can remove some plaque and buildup, there are often areas in the mouth where it accumulates and hardens into tartar. This tartar cannot be removed through regular brushing and flossing and requires the expertise of a dental professional to remove it. Signs and symptoms that indicate a need for dental debridement include bad breath, swollen or bleeding gums, sensitive teeth, and visible buildup of tartar or plaque. Causes of excessive plaque and tartar buildup include poor oral hygiene, irregular dental visits, certain medical conditions, and lifestyle habits such as smoking or consuming sugary foods and drinks. Failure to get dental debridement done promptly can increase the risk of gum and bone damage, abscesses, and even systemic health problems such as heart disease and diabetes.
What Happens During Dental Debridement?
- Dental debridement is a thorough cleaning procedure that removes plaque and tartar buildup above and below the gum line, allowing for a more accurate dental examination. Dental hygienists use an ultrasonic scaler and other instruments to remove tartar and plaque buildup, sometimes requiring multiple appointments depending on the extent of the buildup. Patients may experience some discomfort during the procedure, but local anesthesia is often used to help mitigate this discomfort. Before dental debridement, the patient should inform the dentist of any health conditions or medications they are taking that may affect the procedure’s safety or effectiveness. It is also important to note that dental debridement may not be appropriate for everyone, and alternative treatments or procedures may be necessary.
Benefits of Dental Debridement
- Improved oral health is one of the major benefits of dental debridement as it removes harmful bacteria and buildup that can ultimately lead to dental disease and other health problems. This removal of buildup can also lead to fresher breath and whiter teeth and reduces the risk of gum disease and tooth loss. Furthermore, catching dental issues before they progress can save money over time, as regular cleanings and check-ups cost less than restorative procedures.
Aftercare Following Dental Debridement
- Following dental debridement, patients should maintain good oral hygiene habits, including regular brushing with fluoride toothpaste and flossing. Limiting sugary and acidic foods can decrease the chance of cavity formation. Patients should stick to their scheduled dental check-ups to monitor and maintain oral health. Dental debridement is a vital procedure for maintaining good oral health and preventing dental disease and other health problems. Regular visits to the dentist and proper oral hygiene habits can reduce the need for more extensive dental work in the future. .
Schedule with Saint George Dental Care Today
- Request an appointment here: https://www.stgeorgedentalcare.com or call St. George Dental Care at (435) 628-9099 for an appointment in our St George office.
Check out what others are saying about our services on Yelp: Read our Yelp reviews.
Maintaining good oral health is essential for overall health and wellness. Tooth decay is a common problem and can lead to severe complications such as infections, abscesses, and even tooth loss. It is essential to take preventive measures to protect your teeth from decay. In this blog post, we will explore the different stages of…
Going to the dentist is an essential part of maintaining good health, but it can also be a stressful experience for many people. Sometimes, dental appointments can lead to post-cleaning symptoms like nausea, sore jaw, and sore lip. And in some cases, patients may experience flu-like symptoms, which can be scary and confusing. In this…
A bright, healthy, and straight smile is a sign of good health and can significantly boost your confidence. However, not everyone is blessed with a perfect smile. That's why dental treatments such as braces, veneers, and teeth whitening have become increasingly popular. But do you know about tooth shaving? It is a dental procedure that…